Monday, April 13, 2009

One's essence in writing

1
We may never be fully able to walk a mile in someone else's shoes, or know what life is like for them, especially if we don't know them personally, but I think blogging as good as it'll get without being bilaterally personal.

I like the idea of Twitter and initially found it very interesting, but now wonder about its real place in a social networking market including the likes of Facebook. If blogging is like reading someone's diary, Facebook is like leafing through their letters or wallet and Twitter is like poking them every half hour or so and asking "what're you thinking?" Ideally, the way it works is that you check it very regularly throughout the day and you can see what your friends and 'friends' are thinking without actually having to ask. It is the status bar on social networking sites given a free rein to go nuts. It is social networking for those with short attention spans. Who really has the time to check it really often if they're not a student/self-employed or have a really IT-based job? For me personally I don't like that fact that you can't really keep up with it by checking it once or twice a day unlike other forms of media. Have more than a dozen friends who are active on twitter and it soon becomes nigh on impossible. The idea is great, but in practice maybe not the thing for me.

But blogging is so much more free. It gives the writers a blank canvas to work with, and no word restriction. And as said, it is pretty much a diary, or at least as much of a diary as the writers like to share with the world. With all that freedom, people do make the most of it, either with a regular flow of short articles, like a very fleshed out Twitter, or less regular longer posts. Either way, it does resemble a diary, and it is so much easier for readers to map out their thoughts chronologically.

Now for me, I'm rather lazy. Once I get typing it comes out, but it's taking that push to start writing. Also my life is only interesting at times, and for the most part can be rather repetitive and mundane, at least from an outsider's point of view. But nonetheless I do like reading those of others, and by doing so, getting to know people with lives different from my own. It's interesting, maybe a tad voyeuristic, but what aspect of social networking isn't these days?

1 Response to One's essence in writing

20 April 2009 at 23:31

I completely agree with the twitter thing. I don't even used facebook/myspace unless I want to look up an old boyfriend. I like the freedom blogging offers.