Friday, December 04, 2009

Christmas Music

4
I'm going to be hugely lazy and instead today link you to a wonderful indie mixed CD I found on Emily Jane's blog. As I said to her in my embarrassingly gushy comment, I am a huge fans of the traditional Christmas songs covered in a different way. Songs often tend to lose their charm when you hear them in every major shop and TV advertisement. This way you get the Christmas feeling with a twist that keeps you involved. Not that there's anything wrong with the 'classics'


Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You

Ah, for the days when Mariah Carey was sweet. Great song - I defy you to hear this and not sing and/or dance! It's Christmas! You can't have at me for liking the saccharine chunks of festivity! :D

EJ has inspired to perhaps compile a Mix CD of my own for friends and all two of my readers :P Keep a lookout! And until next time, I don't want a lot for Christmas....

4 Response to Christmas Music

4 December 2009 at 12:14

Music is the best way to get into any mood, if you're asking me. it's like an intangible key to the christmas season...

4 December 2009 at 17:27

Aw yay I like gushing! :)

Glad you liked it - I'm a fan of anybody covering songs (Christmas or otherwise) in totally different ways. I wrote about my hatred for Westlife a few weeks ago 'cause they've had hits with SIXTY THREE covers of songs that sound EXACTLY THE SAME!!

One of my favourite covers is Tori Amos's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - SO different, and just as good!

5 December 2009 at 20:31

I like this song. It's my favorite classic Christmas song. We all have to get into the mood of listening to Christmas music. I don't like every Christmas song I hear because some of the artists mess them up with all their funk they add to it.

5 December 2009 at 23:23

Borah and Kelvin - too right. I can only speak for London, but I have seen Christmas decorations for at least the past month, so the tinsel adorning the lampposts no longer hack it for Christmas spirit, and it's too early for drunkeness (above and beyond the normal call of duty of course) so festive tune-age it'll have to be!

Kelvin - if you don't particularly care for covered Christmas songs, you might not care for the Mix CD I'm about to post in about an hour!


Emily Jane - Like I said, I get enthusiastic about things very easily when I perceive quality :D I personally don't care for Westlife covers because, like you said, they certainly add their own stamp to songs, but that stamp is more akin to a rubber stamp: pretty much identical each time.

Also two points directed to you personally. Hope you don't mind that I nabbed a massive leaf out of your book and signed up to Frequency? If you do mind, my apologies and take my Mix CD as an olive branch!