Saturday, December 19, 2009

Cookie Epilogue and other thoughts

16
From a mass of ingredients to warm lumps that occupy my oven, to decorated cookies of awesomeness that occupy my fridge



As great of a journey as that was, if I never see/make/taste/burn/distribute another cookie for at least a week, it'll be too soon. In the interests of comprehensive backstory and decreased confusion, I have been and still am at the mercy of the economic-depression-fuelled-unemployment monster. And it's Christmas, not that the television and high-street shops haven't made you aware of that since after the summer solstice. So, went my scattered thought-process, how to distribute pressies amongst my chums this holiday period? While I might not be the most financially-blessed person of late, what I do have is a bunch of time of my hands, hence the cookies.

But what was a wonderful child-like adventure back on Wednesday soon became a delirious blur of butter, chocolate and sugar. I made enough cookies for 7 presents. That meant 5 batches of cookies, which equals, no jokes, about 5kilos of ingredients. Pre cooking. And hours, hours of baking. I'm getting wartime flashbacks! And with my vague efforts at being presentable, I refused to give out any cookies that were sunken in/broken. Those ended up in my belly. And spoon-licking is less fun the fifth time around!

It was worth it though. There's a sense of achievement to be had from making that many edible and arguably presentable items and everyone who tasted them claimed they were awesome (whether or they thought it in reality is something I shall not dwell upon!) It must be how craftsmen and carpenters feel! Only less sweat-of-brow-from-effort and more sweat-of-brow-from-oven-heat. Nonetheless. No more. The rest of the people who aren't getting financially-evaluated presents are getting cupcakes. Only Miss Dot has put up ANOTHER awesome sounding cupcake idea, so which one to choose?

Miscellaneous thoughts that strike me on this vanilla-extracted-aftermath:
- why is it I've been giving out so much sound advice these past couple of weeks? It has been occurring to me, and not for the first time, that I'm much better at giving advice than taking my own. Maybe I should meet myself. But that would require a Back to the Future type time paradox. Wouldn't that be strange/mentally-scarring/awesome?
- Christmas in less than a week! Bring on the over-eating, awkward family moments and bad television! (If they don't show two of "Miracle of 34th Street", "Jingle All the Way" and "Love Actually" I will be bitterly disappointed.)
- I'm grateful for the new followers/people who take the time to comment on the blog. It's not the reason why I wrote it, it was born as a diary for me, but I won't say it isn't nice to know people are reading it!
- I feel bad at the ghetto-abuse given to Imogen Heap, but I can't stop listening to this song




- Every holiday season is gold for festive card makers/cake makers/shops isn't it? At least in England, many national chains expected to make a loss this quarter are nonetheless expected to make a profit for this season.
- I liked mulled wine. Mmm.

16 Response to Cookie Epilogue and other thoughts

19 December 2009 at 16:00

Oh man, mulled wine. My family is Swedish, so I've been stuffing myself with Glögg and gingercookies all week. It's only going to get better/worse as Christmas approaches.

I reckon cookies make the best Christmas presents! Mmm...

19 December 2009 at 18:26

you know what, I reckon if nothing else, you could turn this blog into a book and sell well. I'd buy it :)

19 December 2009 at 20:11

Haha, I love this! And I kinda want to reach out and grab one of those cookies. YUM. :D

19 December 2009 at 21:25

May I please come live in your kitchen? That would be great.

Best,

Hannah Katy

19 December 2009 at 22:48

Wow. Your cookies look so good! Sounds like you had an adventure! I love that song as well as the original. I constantly replay the new one though. (guilty). Thanks for all the comments you leave on my blog. Sorry it's taken me a while to come visit yours. Happy Saturday!

21 December 2009 at 01:01

Those cookies look delicious! I just made some to give away at work and I had to throw away so many because I wanted them perfect.

But, for me, licking the spoon never gets old. Just better. ;)

21 December 2009 at 04:18

Ooh, nice idea! I was planning on baking a crumb cake and passing it out. Those cookies look pretty, too. Do they taste any good? :)

Thanks for reminding me to watch my Love Actually DVD! Totally forgot this year. And every time they play that song on the radio I'm all over it!

21 December 2009 at 05:12

Kate - they make great presents, everyone has said they're wonderful :) But therein lies the problem. You can't really stick them under the tree until the 25th, so they eat them all in the next couple of days!

Autumn - Haha, I'm not sure about that! But I definitely appreciate you being so nice.

Allison - Should have said earlier! There was a lot leftover the day after, you can only fit so many in a giftbag!

HK - Sure, I'll fashion you a little cubbie hole out of a cupboard and some recyclables!

SN - I made myself listen to the original today. It's still a brilliant song, but (also guilty) I felt a bit cheated when the beat didn't kick in!

Stephany - No, you can't throw away cookies! Sacrilege! I just ate my offcuts, that's why it got a bit sickening after a while :P

Dorkys - Really? I thought my decoration was a bit haphazard, what Sarah DOESN'T tell you is that it's very hard to get the chocolate to stop dripping from the bag and so after a point I just started going all Jackson Pollock on those bad boys. But they taste wonderful. Praise all 'round, which made me feel pretty chuffed. You can guess that it's a prerequisite that you like chocolate though! :P

21 December 2009 at 13:52

Your cookies look delicious! :)

And I'm the exact same with advice. Giving out is much easier than taking with.

22 December 2009 at 02:54

I am so envious of your mad cookie skills! For some reason, I can't make a good cookie, not even if they are the cut and cook kind.

23 December 2009 at 04:23

Man, those cookies look delightful! I can't imagine making so many... but maybe that's because I've never found the joy in cooking!

You should try Gluhwein, btw. It's awesome!

23 December 2009 at 17:56

I did the same thing! "Cookies," I said to myself, "would be a brilliant, easy, and cheap gift!" Only I wiped out my baking ingredients and HAD to pick the most pain-in-the-butt recipes I had. So I guess in the end all I was left with was it being a brilliant idea, although in the middle of my (mumble) batch, it didn't seem like that either.

Your cookies look quite tasty, though, I must say.

30 December 2009 at 00:49

Ashley - Does this make up terrible people? Do we just get off on the holier-than-thou position?

BSTalks - hey, if it comes down to it, just whisk harder, m'dear! Alternatively just eat the cookie dough :D

Lorien - I did! At a German Christmas market! And Kirschwein. Love that stuff.

KL - Haha, it didn't feel like such great idea to me a few batches in, my forearms were aching from stirring bowls and bowls of mixture (no mechanical mixer for me!) and I burnt a batch by falling asleep (mercifully for a couple of minutes over only!) Having tasty cookies that people enjoy makes it worthwhile though.

31 December 2009 at 04:53

My husband had a humorous conversation on Xbox with a UK guy earlier about crumpets and English muffins that made me think of you and this post.

That said, these cookies look good.

1 January 2010 at 18:32

I’ve decided today to visit a few people I’ve never met before. So Happy New Year!!

4 January 2010 at 18:51

Whitney, that comment both bemused and made me smile at the same time! :D

Barry - good call. Welcome mate, I'm going to pop over to yours now!