Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"Describe yourself in 200 words."

3

 [A poem I wrote a few years ago, pissed off with job applications, and fished up today. Because some angst just comes back to haunt you.]


How does one express their essence,
Their being,
In a box?
If a picture is to represent a thousand words
Are you restricting me
To a fragment of a photograph?

I resent your games,
I resent your inhumanity
I despise its necessity
I mourn my compliance.

Does this mark the beginning of my spiritual death?
Am I to henceforth put across my thoughts to a word limit?
Will my ideas be similarly censored?
My inquisitive nature, stunted?
My wonderment, cast aside?

I shall seek refuge in the ideas of others,
In the poems in which I once found possibility,
And the music which gave me hope.
I shall hope that I shall maintain the capacity to dream,
To protect the part of myself that sets me apart,
I am not the sum of my grades,
Nor the text on my curriculum vitae.
I am the life I have led,
And the life I have yet to.
This you shall never know,
This I shall hang onto.

Within this box, I present my current thoughts.
And wonder how anyone can sum up their lives in the same number of words.
This I yearn to write but dare not.
I am conforming.

3 Response to "Describe yourself in 200 words."

16 December 2009 at 01:52

Wow- I don't even think I could describe myself in 200 words... not because there's SO much about me, but because I wouldn't know where to start! :D

Sam
19 December 2009 at 19:46

this is great! and so true.

11 January 2010 at 02:19

Thank you for letting me read this. I enjoy your poetry. Straightforward and true. I can definitely relate to the frustration of having to categorize yourself when the terms you use to define yourself aren't offered as an option. The last two lines are definitely the most powerful, a great way to end.