Sunday, December 13, 2009

http://www.obsessed-with-the-internet-why-why-why.com

6
If you clicked that hoping for a website, I pat you on your head, silly monkey :) No, rather this is another journey of self-discovery, on the e-path to e-nlightment. So that last one doesn't really work. Shush.

What's the first step you're meant to take when you're a member of [Insert-deplorable-vice-here] Anonymous? Oh yes. I'm Stephen and I'm obsessed with the Internet. It's true.

Exhibit 1:
So I go to the cinema, laugh/cry/feel uplifted, have drinks with mates/rip film apart/place film on pedestal, return home and what is my first instinct? Check Imdb. (This is the part where you chant 'freak' at me.) I mean, nary an hour or two will have passed since the film ended and yet, I want to know the 'trivia'. The 'goofs'. And if I or my friends were undecided on the judgment of the film I might also pop over to RottenTomatoes to see what critics have had to say. A similar process may occur once I have finished a book.

Exhibit 2:
Yesterday, the power went out on my block. Only for fifteen minutes or so mind you, but still. Power cut. My first thought? Not make sure the alarm doesn't run out of battery charge and set itself off at 2am. Not worry that the freezer might soon become home to a cornucopia of thawed out meat and melted ice cream. But rather oh no, now I can't send that e-mail I wanted to send! Shocking. By the time I'd located the torches etc and convinced myself the e-mail could wait 'til the next day, the power came back on. And quite honestly and very tragically, I let out a genuine and audible sigh of relief. Then went on Facebook.

Exhibit 3:

I use the internet for 90% of my life. I will now Wikipedia something rather than asking someone else. I will go upstairs to Google a restaurant's phone number when chances are I have it scribbled down somewhere in my Filofax. In my bag. Next to my foot. I use sites like Wikipedia and Google as everyday verbs! Slay me now. And though I will never need to know this in life, I also looked up the etymology of the word "wean". 16th Century and Germanic in origin I'll have you know.

Exhibit 4:

Also, as the internet has become like an extension of myself, I use it to emulate my mental let's-clumsily-and-randomly-jump-from-topic-to-topic style of thought. (Not just when I'm not sleeping! Like now.) I went to Imdb to check out a quotation from "The History Boys" that made me thoughtful a few days ago. In a strange Six-Degrees-of-Kevin-Bacon (incidentally I rock at that game) manner I managed to end up playing Samorost. Via Youtube and Rocketboom.



Now I have no intention of taking drastic measures, or weaning myself off the internet anytime soon. I mean, I still have a regular social life and talk to 'real people' in person more than on Facebook. And goodness knows that for every two (don't lie. say ten) pointless things I do on the internet, I do something productive. Like send off hideously long job applications to companies that don't want me. But if Y2K had been real, I would probably be a very different person today.

Ahem. [Scurries off to Wikipedia the Y2K bug.]


p.s.
- In other news, my first article for FrequencyMagazine (an online music magazine) has been put up. Whoo! Check it out
- Sorry for getting all link-tastic. I'm not being sponsored by any of these websites (more's the pity)!
- Based almost solely on "Gavin and Stacey", I love Welsh people.
- I can't sing, but I'm seriously thinking about putting "Audition for X Factor" on my Bucket List. (Still a work in progress)
- Do I abuse parentheses and hyphens?

6 Response to http://www.obsessed-with-the-internet-why-why-why.com

13 December 2009 at 03:56

Welcome to Frequency!!

They published my first two articles, but apparently I was too scathing in my review of John Mayer's "Battle Studies" so I have to revise it *pouts* lol

13 December 2009 at 03:58

Haha, well if you MUST be censored, might as well do it for going out swinging! :P Were you mentioning John Mayer's douche-baggery? The man used to be cool!

13 December 2009 at 06:00

LOL! I swear. Internet has been such a strong addiction. Even the slightest of regular chores are being googled as in: How do I tie up a tie? :P

BTW, thanks for those amazing links :D I'm glad to check out FrequencyMagazine :P

jb
14 December 2009 at 04:27

STEPHEN, THANKS FOR DROPPING IN ON MY LITTLE BLOG AND POSTING A COMMENT. MY LIST OF FAVE MUSIC FOR 2009 WAS HARD TO DO BUT I DO LIKE YOUR SUGGESTIONS. I'VE GONE TO LISTEN TO SOME OF THE BANDS...AWESOME STUFF THANKS FOR HOOKING ME UP LOVE....TAKE GOOD CARE AND DROP BY ANYTIME...

HUGGS
JBXOX

Sam
14 December 2009 at 21:07

haha, this is EXACTLY like me. I'm so addicted, it's embarrassing. I'm constantly checking gmail, facebook, twitter, blogger, youtube, blogTV, and always googling things. I use the word "googled" probably one too many times throughout the day. Love your blog! Glad I have something new to check daily! :)

14 December 2009 at 21:54

Anamika - You should check it out! It's all completely volunteer run and everyone is genuinely a music fan :)

JB - Hey, always to happy to spread new music! :P

Sam - maybe it's just our generation :P Thanks for swinging by!