Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Lists - All the cool kids are making them

1
Because I can, and because I like to think of myself as sometimes wry and dry of wit, I'm going to make a list of reasons why I am going to make lists this week:

1. Because as well as being composed of a number of other deficiencies, I am short of attention span. Fast to be enthused by something but almost as fast to ditch something newer, shinier or prettier.

Case in point. A few weeks ago, I read 4 books in a week ("Nocturnes" - K Ishiguro, "To the Lighthouse" - V Woolf, "Kitchen" - B Yoshimoto, "Brick Lane" - M Ali. Just in case you're interested and they're all bloody good books.) This week I have started three and completed zero. Not because they're unworthy books, in fact I'm sure they're wonderful reads, but sometimes when you're reading about white whales, you decide instead you want to read the Gandhi book that's sat on your friend's bookshelf, then a couple of days later decide that Sherlock Holmes might be more fun.

See what I mean? Tangent. Anyhow, lists might get my array of rapid and unfocused thoughts into a semblance of order, and subsequently magically convert me into a semblance of an organised homo sapien.


2. Because Santa Claus is. Mariah Carey just said. "He's making a list, he's checking it twice." Then he's coming into town. I wonder if Santa would care for a gingerbread latte with me, since he'll be in town, and they're delicious.






3. Because of late I've been reminded of the concept of Bucket Lists and their variants. Like the Morgan Freeman film. Like my friend who wants to take me bungee jumping in February. And this Nicole lass (check her out, she's got a pretty good one here). I have suspected I coast along life when left to my own devices, but no longer! Time for change! I'm not sure whether to make a Life/Bucket List or a mini To-Do-In-2010 List. Maybe both?

4. Because I'm listening to "My Year in Lists" by Los Campesinos.

5. Because I'm a product of the accelerated, constantly bombarded with information from a plethora of sources and media, rarely stationary and consistently curious state of society at the moment. Generation whY? if you will. 

6. Because of "The Twelve Days of Christmas"?

1 Response to Lists - All the cool kids are making them

10 December 2009 at 20:28

I really liked your number 1 and the link to Nicole's list post. It was insane- Hope all is well -Fin

J.D.
www.writerontheverge.com