Wednesday, December 09, 2009

"Reading magazines and counting sheep to pass the time away"

7

Ah... Feeder. Anyhow, that's the opening lyric to their song Insomnia, and incidentally, this is the first picture that appears when you type insomnia into Google images. Creepy, n'est-ce pas? Not tired, you?

I've been in bed for about 3 hours and still my mind refuses to shutdown and let me sleep. So after fishing up the ol' Macbook and draining the news websites, my Google Reader and BBC Radio 4 of stimulation I decided to be terribly ADD and look up famous people who are/were insomniacs.  And type up my findings self indulgently in a manner that distinctly resembles tripe. I won't edit it though. Maybe it will be vaguely funny in the morning. That, or depressing. In conducting internet research, it amused me how each list felt compelled to think of synonyms for insomnia to avoid repetition. According to their lexicon, I currently have difficulty sleeping as other people would, refer to my failure to enjoy a good night sleep, suffer terribly from the insomnia, and have the ability to sleep during only four or even less hours at night. Also, while Google might render up a number of websites offering such lists, they all seem to have rehashed essentially the same thing. Lazy!

As a result I refuse to produce another copy of this list. Though I did come across a few strange remedies they used. Mark Twain, staying at his friend's house, felt the need for fresh air so threw a pillow through a window, which seemed to do the trick. He later found out the 'window' was a glass bookcase. Groucho Marx used to call strangers up in the middle of night and insult them. Hmmm... Best not. Besides I have no idea what my voice sounds like right now. Probably like a snotty growl more than anything else.

Know who else was an insomniac? Charles Dickens. What the dickens? What the deuce? Stewie Griffin. Peter Griffin. Peter O' Toole. Tool Time. Tim Allen. Woody Allen. Annie Hall. Rebecca Hall. Vicky Christina Barcelona. Gaudi. Gaudy. Ugly. Grim. Bleak. Hard Times. Charles Dickens. Ahah, we come full circle.

It's nearly 5:19. 5:19 is the name of a song by Matt Wertz. If you type in Matt Wertz at Googlism, the funniest response is "matt wertz is an animal and thats fo shizel i drove 2 hours". That makes a bunch of sense to me. If I drove 2 hours I could be in Birmingham. England, not Alabama. The population of Birmingham Alabama is estimated at around 229,000. The population of Birmingham, England is over 1,000,000. I'm going to Birmingham in a fortnight. In French, a fortnight is quinze jours if I remember correctly. How boring is that? But quotidien looks and sounds a lot better than daily. And it can mean newspaper.

Why is no one else awake at this time...?

7 Response to "Reading magazines and counting sheep to pass the time away"

9 December 2009 at 12:44

Hey thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

Your post made me laugh.
I hate lying awake at night. Unfortunately, that happens a lot. Mostly because the walls here are pretty thin and my neighbours fight a lot in the middle of the night. Yes, I really hate them.

9 December 2009 at 19:59

I totally could not sleep last night either! I had to open, which means being to work by 5AM. I fell asleep fine last night but around 11 woke up and could not for the life of me fall back to sleep. Absolutely awful =-(

Amy
9 December 2009 at 20:52

I know how you feel! I spent like 3hours trying to fall asleep last night. Then I just gave up and turned on the TV. Since nothing's on that late/early, I just decided to watch all the amazing infomercials. And that put me to sleep. Ugh. What a night.

9 December 2009 at 21:22

This post is fantastic! And it's everything going on in someone's mind when they can't fall asleep!

I had terrible, terrible, terrible insomnia when I was in 6th grade. I tried everything but the only way I could fall asleep was to sleep on the floor. Odd but it's true.

10 December 2009 at 19:32

I loved this post!
So out there and nonsensical. That full circle thing... awesome!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

12 December 2009 at 08:35

I love that Feeder song (indeed that whole album). Thanks for reminding me of it, am now going to go and listen to it :)

14 December 2009 at 21:45

Loys - that's terrible! And you can't even interrupt them mid fight lest they direct the fury onto you!

Krysten - it's even worse when you can't sleep when you have something to do the next day! You end up doing that "if I fall asleep in the next 10 mins I'll get 6 hours' sleep" thing!

Amy - Haha, when I try to do that, I sometimes fall asleep on the sofa and wake up with a massive crick in the neck!

Stephany - google other insomnia remedies, there have been MUCH more radical ones than that. You're still normal! :P

Alexandra - my pleasure :) I like it!

Emma - it is a great album! I saw Grant Nicholas film a video a few years ago actually!