Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Ten on Tuesday

4
So in my quest for gimicky reasons to write, I stumbled upon this "Ten on Tuesday" on Stephany's blog. In a nutshell, it's quite simply answering ten questions. And it's still technically Tuesday in America! Here goes:

1. What was the last concert you’ve been to?
I was lucky enough to catch Muse at the O2 a few weeks ago. For those of you not aware of this, the Millenium Dome built for the millenium in London nearly a decade ago was transformed into the O2 centre (sponsored by the O2 phone network) with an arena, a cinema, a club and many restaurants. I hadn't actually been to the arena in the O2 before and was surprised how it was smaller than I'd imagined, then remembering it was indoors as PART of the dome structure, confounded by how much they'd actually managed to fit in.

Muse was, as expected, awesome. They never disappoint, and this time had raising platforms to add to their usual laser show and screen projection tricks. The latter were particularly impressive, one looking like a man slowly drowning artistically (trust me on this oxymoronic point :P) while the band rocked out. Now, I'm not much of a fan of the new album as compared to the previous offerings, but still, it works pretty well live, and they had enough of the old favourites to keep me jumping!

2. Is it easy to make you cry?
No. But the things that DO make me cry are pretty strange. "Big Fish" the film makes me cry happy tears. Seeing/living a traumatic event won't make me cry, but talking about it afterward might, at least in the past. I haven't cried for a long time now.

3. Do you ever feel like people underestimate you?
Underestimate me at first, yes. While sometimes I suspect I don't give the most impressive and standout first impression, I believe I make a very good second/third one.

4. Name 7 completely random things that you like:
Goodie! Lists! :D

Sunrises - They can make any sky better, and give a wonderful tinge to any plain landscape or horizon. also they make clouds look like blank canvasses rather than harbingers of bad weather.


Random acts of kindness - Wherever possible, I like to think the best of people in general. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a pair of rose-tinted glasses welded to my face and I know there are some genuine bastards out there. But seeing acts of kindness in the outside world, with the proviso that they must take place between strangers and be more substantial and less to-be-expected than opening a door, make me smile inside and keep off the slow and winding path into dark misanthropy.


Hugs - Who doesn't like a good hug? I like good hugs, and so, I hear, I give good hugs. Mmm...


Singing  - I can't sing, but if I could I'd be failing as a professional singer at this very moment! Karaoke is awesome, and Guitar Hero has become a whole lot better since they introduced the mics :P


Acoustic covers of songs - Quite a large part of me enjoys a good harmony, a neat and unusual cadence, a prudent key change. Hearing a song stripped down to its musical roots without the layering on of production, relying only on the musicians and their indomitable spirit makes most songs sound more passionate to me.


Smiles - Smiling makes everyone look nicer, more approachble and endears themselves to me. People should smile more.


Discovering a really good book - Life can be dreary at times and a good book allows us to live a variety of experiences vicariously.


5. What’s your favorite reality TV show and why?
Like Stephany, I love So You Think You Can Dance? The dances (for the most part) amazing, they have brought on some amazing choreographers, and dancers are FIT :P Not the most manly of favourites, but shush, I like it. I don't generally care for reality TV though.

6. What is your favorite hair care product?
*Rolls eyes* The shower?

7. What’s your favorite song at the moment?
  This bad boy. "Maybe this Christmas" by Ron Sexsmith. (Take the time now to laugh the name.... bit more... now let's continue) I only just got back into the Christmas songs today, being advent and all that, and I realised I have a fair amount of festive tunes on my iTunes! This is an oldie but goodie, one of my top-rated Christmas songs.

8. What’s the number one thing on your Christmas wishlist?
An iPhone? Other than that, I'm lucky enough to not really want anything with any great longing. Winning the lottery might be a nice idea.

9. Have you ever lost your cell phone?
 On the day of my 18th birthday,  I left my mobile phone in the changing room at Gap. When I realised and returned to check if it was there, I found out some honest soul had handed it back in. Wonderful.


10. Did you attack the hordes of shoppers for Black Friday?
I guess the equivalent would be the Boxing Day sales? Only braved it once of my own volition and I suspect a few times trailing alongside my parents when I was a wee boy.

4 Response to Ten on Tuesday

3 December 2009 at 02:14

Thanks for doing this! I also love acoustic versions of songs. It just leaves the singer free to bare his/her soul and their passion.

3 December 2009 at 17:06

Muse is awesome, ive always wanted to see them in concert!

Also, I'm glad you enjoyed My Sassy Girl, like you said, we had a similar reason for seeing this film and I'm glad we both walked away satisfied for the most part. If you want another good romcom to watch check out 'My Left Eye Sees Ghosts', which you can see our review here:

http://japancinema.net/2009/08/28/my-left-eye-sees-ghosts-review/

3 December 2009 at 18:21

Thanks for stopping by my blog and all the lovely (not quite sure deserved!) comments - I'm so glad you enjoyed the mix! I had to check out your blog - LOVE LOVE LOVE THE MUSE. I saw them in Wembley a few years ago and it was the best thing I've ever gone to in my life. What did you think of the newest album?

http://frequencymagazine.net/reviews/album-review-reviews/muse-the-resistance/

^ loved it, clearly!

Thanks again for stopping by, looking forward to hearing YOUR Christmas playlist :)

3 December 2009 at 19:01

Stephany - too right it does! That's also why I like my gigs either pumping, rocking and sweaty, or intimate, all but unplugged, 4 musicians, 2 mics and 4 amps.

Japancinema - I've been on a European kick recently, but quite honestly use you as a first port of call when I feel like delving back East. Also, you'll understand my confusion when I saw I initially thought you were talking about "The Eye"!

EJ - No worries, I'm just glad and pleasantly surprised I didn't scare you off with my reversion to teenager enthusiasm. Love the Muse, have seen them a few times now, and have ALREADY booked in for next year! The new album was a bit mixed for me. The first half, packed with all the anthems was solid, especially Uprising, which I'm glad to notice you heard the faint ring of Dr Who *whooo* in as well! But I'm not sure about the Exogenesis rock symphony project at the end. Certainly it's musically strong, but takes some getting used to and works more, I would imagine, with some other stimuli. For instance, it would be great as a soundtrack to something. All I can say is there is a reason why when they were live they surrounded it with guaranteed crowd-pleasers like Knights of Cydonia. To be honest, they could follow Miley Cyrus with Cydonia and I'd still leave happy.