Thursday, January 14, 2010

Adrift

2
Paddling solo against the ocean current
he struggles to remain afloat
without the flotsam and jetsam of life to cling to
memories of trite words of encouragement
do nothing to increase buoyancy
abandoned
helpless

Breathe.

The sun sets, taking with it the colours and hope
once shining and foaming crests of waves
darken into intimidating shadows and sentinels
his heart sinks but his body cannot
yhe dark seas must remain below
watching
pulling

Breathe.

Surrender is not his way
his arms flail
pale imitation of swim strokes
tired eyes scan the horizon
no ships
no land
waiting
hoping

Breathe.

2 Response to Adrift

14 January 2010 at 18:26

I really liked this, Stephen!
I was thinking about my fear of water just before reading your poem, so it kind of resonated with me even more.

18 January 2010 at 19:04

I likes.