Friday, January 08, 2010

Another award, another set of red herrings

16

Thanks Alexandra of the TellTaleBlog.com!  Check out her blog, very human, very funny, very cool photos (can you tell I've been having photo envy of late?)

The Rules
1. Thank the person who nominated me for this award
2. Copy the award & place it on my blog
3. Link to the person who nominated me for this award
4. Share 7 interesting things about myself
5. Nominate 7 bloggers

7 Things about me that you may not know
1) I have a big head that is, no jokes, too big for your average hat. That's why I don't wear caps.
2) I have three scars from three different countries that stemmed from alcohol. And were incurred within a 6 month period.
3) I play the violin, piano, and am trying to teach myself guitar. "Stairway to Heaven" was the most common sound from my room for a good solid week when I first started.
4) Aside from illness/jetlag related incidents, I couldn't tell you when I last fell asleep before midnight.
5) I'm not the world's best singer but I am a karaoke fiend. (Oriental much?)
6) The first tape I ever bought for myself was "It's Like That" by Run-DMC v Jason Nevins.
7) Little kids love me and I love kids ("the appropriate amount... as allowed  by law..." Quote alert.) So after I have become a corporate sellout for a few years or so, I hope to be a teacher.

7 Beautiful and Deserving People (who didn't make the OTT 5)


Alexandra "Falex" at KindOfThatGirl - recent blog find and 20SB friend, this girl is beautiful inside and out. She sculpts words and that's hot.
Sarah Nicole at Live in Imagination - definitely one of the girliest blogs on my Google Reader, but she is so sweet, likes cool stuff and is partially responsible for half my Christmas presents this year. Cookies!
Allison at A Bit of Allison - actually Allison may be even girlier. Just as cool though and just as creative.
Kat at Unfettered Youth - Don't be frightened by her tight writing and rapier wit, she's a very pretty lass with a heart of gold underneath (I think...?)
Conor at the Pizza Box - Ahem. *Manly slap on back*  You're alright lad. You're alright, you beautiful lunk of Irish.
Kiley at Hello Kiley - Dazzling smile, awesome taste, wonderful personality.
Sam at Simply Sam (Love ya, but NOT going to include the bazillion asterisks!) - Great photos and taste in photos (seeing a theme?), the cutest smile (seeing another theme?), and she's SO on point with her knowledge and passion for advertising. And that's cute too. Check out her advertising blog too!

Hugs and stuff to you beautiful people!

-----

- Gave my cousin a LONG and COLD walking tour of London today, and it was a slightly surreal experience seeing London through the eyes of a tourist. It's not like I customarily hang out in front of Buckingham Palace! And I didn't realise how freaking awesome is London is. Even more than I previous thought. Wish I brought my camera with me though, she didn't really care about the cool little things that I saw and the way the sunset hit the horizon and the Thames at an aesthetically pleasing angle.
- The National Gallery is free, awesome, and not just filled with portraits. We spend hours in there and I bought a print of this for that bare spot on my wall.



Voted 'Britain's best painting' on a popular poll, ladies and gents, the breathtaking "The Fighting Temeraire".










- I am more sturdy of foot than I thought, even in the face of extreme road-icing. And not in the yummy sugar coating way.
- David Bowie is a crazy, eccentric and slightly prancing maniac. But in the 'bloody-hell-how-irresistably-cool' way. If you haven't got a copy of "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars", why the heck not?
- What terribly cataclysmic world disasters would have to occur for Zooey Deschanel to want to bear my children?

16 Response to Another award, another set of red herrings

9 January 2010 at 01:31

Thanks so much Stephen! You are so sweet!

9 January 2010 at 01:56

Thank you for this wonderful award! I'm flattered! (blush). I don't know what to say about being your girliest blog... I'm glad you read me even though I am! :D Haha, Thanks again!

Sam
9 January 2010 at 03:45

You are so nice! Thanks! And yeah, I should get rid of all the *****. I added them to try to fix something when you search me google... long story :)

9 January 2010 at 04:49

How did I not notice this post in my reader earlier?! Thanks for the nice-y nice words about me :) NO THANKS for spreading this nickname around EVEN more. I mean...and thanks so much for continuing to call me falex, I truly love it.

Pretty print choice from the gallery! Your tour sounds fabulous.

9 January 2010 at 06:00

*Gives a cheer* Be a teacher! I am a firm believer that everyone should try it once. And your sleep thing boggles me.

9 January 2010 at 20:41

While you can't remember the last time you fell asleep before midnight, "I" can't remember the last time I fell asleep AFTER midnight. Even when I have a day off and I get to sleep in, I still hit the hay by 11. I swear I'm not 80.

9 January 2010 at 21:35

Love that painting. I need to work on getting more "grown up" art for my place - right now the walls are bombarded with Doctor Who posters (framed, of course), photos of Ireland and Muse posters. I do have a nice cityscape of London though :)

9 January 2010 at 23:46

Another Zooey fan? My husband has a bit of a thing for her too!

10 January 2010 at 02:45

Oh karaoke... way too much fun. Especially when drinking. And thinking it's a good idea to pretend to be Madonna ;-)

Congrats on the award!

11 January 2010 at 17:40

SN, Allison, Sam and Alex - You are all very welcome, believe me I wouldn't have given them out if I didn't think you deserved them!

Patti - I did try it and did love it! That's why I'm sure I want to end up doing it at some point :D

Stephany - Different strokes for different folks. While your strokes makes you wake up refreshed and happy, I wake up and feel for 2 minutes like a Yeti battered with a fish.

EJ - Posters?! Plural. Having said that I found some figurines on eBay and might just have put in a bid. Ahem. Kudos on the Muse posters though. Most of my posters didn't survive the room changes except this the Fray one in the corner and I'm not sure if I even still give them that much credit anymore.

Emma - Great minds, Emma, great minds.

Krysten - Haha, not so much on the Madonna, more 80s rocker/Disney/early 90s pop music for me mostly. And Muse on Guitar Hero.

12 January 2010 at 02:33

Alas I am a karaoke fiend as well, perhaps it is embedded in our Asian genetic code? Crazy for You by Madonna is my go-to song. What's yours?

12 January 2010 at 03:29

Something like "Don't Stop Believin'" if I'm all happy-happy-hyper (and/or drunk), and something sappy like "When you Say Nothing at All" if I'm, well, quiet Stephen. Ultimately though, I love the karaoke so much I'll volunteer for the first song that comes the songlist that I know, haha!

And I reckon it's definitely a gene thing, what other restaurants have karaoke as one of their largest rooms? Actually I hear the Italians are pretty keen too.

Kat
12 January 2010 at 04:27

Aww, you're too kind Stephen. I'm glad (yet incredulous) that you see past all my bad qualities. :)

And showing someone else your home city as a tourist can be a sort of great experience. It's really easy to get cynical about all the touristy parts of a city but when you're forced to go it can make you see the whole place in a different light.

12 January 2010 at 16:50

Concgratulations, yeah?!
That's totally awesome that you got recognized for your blog! You deserve it!

13 January 2010 at 01:55

Thanks for your comment :) Made me smile and I know that doesn't mean much coming from a generally smiley person, but this one was particularly smiley.

14 January 2010 at 00:59

Thanks again, again, again for continually brightening my day. I await your next poem/short story in anticipation...get writing sir.

Also, amusingly the word verification for this comment box is: cototle. I just think that sounds funny. I may have to make up another word using it.