Monday, January 04, 2010

Goodbye Noughties, hello.... Tensies?

17
I suppose history will remember it as the 'two-thousands' and 'twenty-tens', but what will we call them?

So despite my admittedly short-lived determination to resist, I am instead succumbing to the "New Year" post that is doing the rounds on the blogs I have been reading. To be frank, many of the topics have been on my mind anyhow: any period of inactivity/momentous occasion leads to a higher level of introspection.

In one of my half-baked, spur of the moment theories, I think even-numbered years are better for me! 2009, while containing an awesome first half, was not so nearly as spectacular as 2008 (or even 2006, or 2002) for the sole reason that I was coasting. Something I am especially prone to do and a habit I have resolved to banish (or realistically minimise) this year. Heck, decade. It's just a number I know, but it's another number and hopefully another reason to live this year rather than just subsist. In 2008 I lived in three different countries, and while I might not be able to travel as much this year, this should not stop be from attempting to recapture that joie-de-vivre, the joy in experiencing the things around me rather than just taking them for granted, rather than merely walking by.

It wasn't all bad though, in 2009, I:




- Met a bunch of truly 'different' people, because who wants all their friends to be the same, honestly? But I will have to continue my effort to retain friendship ties, because to lose the sense of connection and experience once shared is tragic, especially when it can so easily be avoided.

- Finally saw the Louvre  - certainly, the extent of the artistic genius was lost on me slightly, but it's one of those experiences no European really has any excuse for not witnessing. There are shedload of similar things I need to see in Italy soon.

(p.s. Sure it's one of the most famous paintings in the world, but no-one ever mentions how the Mona Lisa is the size of a freakin' A4 piece of paper.)




- Started playing the piano again - Yes, it was a backlash to people hearing "Clair de Lune" and thinking of Twilight but however it got me there, I hadn't really taken the time to play the piano more than idly for a couple of years, and this again is something I would like to keep up.
- Attended the theatre four times - Why this number isn't higher considering I'm a Londoner is anyone's guess.
- Went to my first live rugby match - Truly more of a gentleman's game than football.


(this photo belongs to my friends GH, I can ask permission if you want to use these or others of the match)



And because life is more about the present and future than the past, I intend to do these things in 2010:

- Take a truly beautiful photo. Sure I take ones like this and the one to the left, but I want to take a really good one. May require a proper camera.
- Read the complete works of Shakespeare. Will be tough, but I got the bug while watching Hamlet, and I might as well read this now while I still have two young non-bespectacled eyes!
- Go to the theatre/open air theatre at least 12 times this year. I'm a Londoner. No excuse not to really, and goodness knows that Futurama doesn't count as high culture.
- Start running again - I was making such rapid progress, quickening my pace and being able to run for longer without getting completely knackered. But even faster than I got swifter, I got worse again. This time I have to keep it going!
(Couldn't resist the opportunity to think of synonyms for... er... speedy. I'm such a word and punctuation geek: is it any wonder that I love this book?)


I also intend to make a dent on my Life List (name changes bi-daily) which I'm still in the process of prefecting. But ones currently on the list which I will try to knock one or two off:
- Go bungee-jumping
- Become the most knowledgeable person I know about a subject. And a real one, of the type that would go on Mastermind, something like 'The films of Hitchcock' rather than 'The Moves of Pikachu circa Pokemon Red'. And this might be tough, since I went to a good school and a good university I have a bunch of polymath friends.
- Get paid for art/creative piece of my own making - this could be busking, selling a poem, story, article
- Be part of a 'flash mob' event -  Because honestly guys. How fun does this look?
- Visit every continent (so far only have Europe, N America, Asia and Oceania knocked off)
- Make an 'Amelie moment' - where I truly help someone without ever letting them know it was me. If you don't get the reference you should really watch the film.
- Watch every film on the BFI/AFI/IMDB top 100 list
- Read every Book on a reputable top 50/100 list
(One of these two might be doable this year if Shakespeare doesn't knock me out too much)

Any other suggestions for the rest?



17 Response to Goodbye Noughties, hello.... Tensies?

4 January 2010 at 19:30

COMPLETE works of Shakespeare? That's quite a big bite, but I'm all for it. Enjoy your meal and let me know how it goes. (I can only boast 6 plays of the Bard's.)

4 January 2010 at 20:25

I managed to visit the Louvre and NOT see the Mona Lisa. Pretty shameful!

And that IS a beautiful photo!

5 January 2010 at 00:14

Haha, I love this! Especially the Mona Lisa- I went there this summer and managed to take a picture with her by squeezing through the CROWDS of people. And yes, when I play Clare de Lune it reminds me of Twilight too! ;D

5 January 2010 at 00:21

The only movie on that pic I haven't seen is soylent green. At least I already knew how it ends anyway. :)

your story reminds of the time I was on vacation in LA. Harry potter seven had just come out. My friends and I had decided to wait to read it until after vaca, but we could not go anywhere in Hollywood without running into someone with the damn book. Bus stops, cafes, night clubs (I kid u not). It was a pandemic!

And yes...we got spoiled. :(

5 January 2010 at 01:19

I admire your ambition. I love how you want to visit every continent and said you've only knocked about 4 off the list. 4 is a lot in my book.

I wish you the best of luck in accomplishing your goals. :]

5 January 2010 at 01:47

While I like the mona lisa, I didn't get all the hype. Oh well. I guess I'm not sophisticated like that. As for the piano, I'm taking that up too! Yay!

5 January 2010 at 02:34

Rachel - Yeah, I'm beginning to regret that decision and Amazon hasn't even delivered the massive book yet! 30-something plays, 100-something poems and a bunch of sonnets. Uh oh... They better be good is all I have to say!

Emma - Aw thanks Emma :D Pretty shameful except I know now first hand how MASSIVE the Louvre is and how much art they stuff into their rooms. A proper art fan would be able to spend a whole week in one wing.

Allison - With her? You must be superhuman to get past the leering gargoyles of 'bodyguards' they give her :D

And that's exactly the kind of behaviour I'm trying to discourage, haha! I'm taking 'Clair' back!

Kiley - Sucks doesn't it? But luckily I'm usually the one that has to hold my tongue, I finished all the Harry Potter books before teatime of their release dates! :D Yes, I'm hoping that super reading speed will help me with Shakespeare!

Sarah Nicole - Thanks! I think I'll need the luck to be honest, but may as well shoot for the stars and settle for the moon, eh? :)

Lorien - *Fist bump* That is all.

p.s. apologies to all for hogging all the exclamation marks. I've been replanting them as I go along.

5 January 2010 at 06:23

It sounds like we have a lot of the same goals, like running again, bungee jumping, and getting paid for our creativity. I wish you luck. Let's go through it together!

5 January 2010 at 13:46

1) I tend to coast too...but I'm tired of it.
2) The Mona Lisa is tiny!?!
3) Do you have a 101 things in 1001 list? (Go to www.dayzeroproject.com)
4) Amelie is such a beautiful film.

Kat
5 January 2010 at 15:10

I love how you call rugby a gentleman's game and then the picture is of someone being dragged clinging to someone else's leg.
And you really don't have an excuse to not see more art and monuments around Europe! Travel is so easy now with the cheap airlines and everything.

5 January 2010 at 17:27

Andrea - it's a deal! Though I reckon you'll probably do it better than me, this year is going to be pretty transitory.

Ashley
1) It's terrible isn't it? You get the hindsight impression that you're wasting your life. That's why films like Yes Man, and the Bucket List have a pretty profound effect on me. For a while.
2) Not that tiny. But only slightly larger than A4!
3) Nope, I intend to make one when I can think of the right things and more importantly am no longer stone cold broke!
4) Agreed. And by rights and on paper this film should disgust me with how saccharine it is, but it doesn't! I just love it!

Kat - It was actually one of the better ones! One without gurning or looks of pain. And there's a saying about the two great English sports "Football is a gentleman's sport played by thugs, and rugby is a thug's game played by gentlemen." Certainly the audience is less obnoxious at rugby!

And you're so right about the Europe point. I know so many Americans would kill to be in my geographic position.

5 January 2010 at 19:46

I saw the Louvre once from the outside but I was only in Paris for a day and so we decided to "see" as many sights as we could instead of picking one or two and spending the whole day exploring them...

I love your list of goals, and how incredible your life sounds!! I love finding out more about blogger friends, and 2010 sounds like a great year for you. I too would like to take a really beautiful photograph but I fear you're right - a point and shoot isn't going to do the job. And I plan on one day having read the Complete Works of Shakespeare - but that's more of a lifelong goal than a new year's resolution :)

Best of luck mate!

5 January 2010 at 21:09

i took a whole course in shakespeare in high school and got their oh so prestigious award. most of his works are smart, genius, enthralling. but man, i wanted to shoot myself reading King John. Just giving you a heads up. My favorite tragedy was King Lear.


those are some hefty and ambitious goals there! I've had the AFI top 100 goal for about 4 years now. alas, i've half give up on it. i remember 4 years ago KIng Kong was not available on DVD.

5 January 2010 at 21:29

EJ - that's fair enough, I went the opposite way. In hindsight we probably spent too much time at Notre Dame. I do as well, the little snapshots into people's lives are like the conversations you had with strangers :D

Linda - yeah, I might try and knock out the history plays first, I've only read a few, but I'm going to leave my favourites, Hamlet and Othello 'til last. And alternate the poems and sonnets or take them when I haven't much time or at bedtime.

5 January 2010 at 22:00

What a fantastic list of goals for the year - specfically becoming a SME. I admire your drive and have full faith you'll complete most. Good luck in '10!

Sam
5 January 2010 at 22:47

i want to take beautiful photos, too. and being part of a flash mob would be amazing. yes, i will work towards making that happen.

5 January 2010 at 23:19

MDubs - (That, unfortunately makes me think of "N Dubz" the urban music group. Completely unfair though, you're actually a very pretty lady!) And I will try to complete them, though I think people are misreading me and thinking I wanted to do everything I wrote! The latter half are things for life not 2010!

And thanks, but I'm not certain what an SME is?

Sam - I had a feeling you would! Best of luck my smiling friend! :)