Thursday, January 14, 2010

In the strangest of moods

11
Another set of bullet points today, my friends:
Feel free to leave as honest a set of criticisms on the previous two posts. As ever, inspired by Birdykin's archives and the influx of creativity from Alex at Kind of That Girl, I just wanted to get something down. Almost entirely unedited (spelling and punctuation of course, you should know how fastidious am I with these) they will be raw but maybe it's better that way.

Finally went to see Avatar this evening. I meant to see it last week but ended up frolicking in the snow instead. Frolicking sounds like I'm a lamb or a 1950s child. Ended up having japes in the snow. That's hardly better. Anyhow, I really enjoyed Avatar. Certainly it was very long, mediocre and unimaginative in its writing and as cliched a collection of dialogue as you could ever ask for. But the sheer creativity of the colours, the creatures, even the foliage was just breathtaking. I'm sceptical about how much of that can be attributed to the frankly irritating pair of Joe 90-esque 3D glasses we have to wear, but nonetheless, a three-hour-stretch well spent I feel. Goodness knows I love films with a good sense of colour, spectacle and cinematography.

Being a TV Geek, I'm:
-  Underwhelmed with the amateurish, almost cover-version-feel of the British version of So You Think You Can Dance
- Underwhelmed with the return of Hustle
- Happy but underwhelmed at the return of Chuck
- Excited by the imminent comeback of 24
- Hopeful about the sudden spike in quality of Scrubs
- Ditto but to a lower key with respects to Heroes
- Still remembering the 100th episode of How I Met Your Mother, complete with musical finale
- Missing Glee and Dr Who (David Tennant era)
Wow that's a lot of TV-linkage.

It snowed again today, but not enough for snow days but enough to make it annoying, slippery and vaguely dangerous. I'm over it now.

If I have any sway over any of you whatsoever, donate some money to Oxfam/Unicef/the MSFs/other NGOs that will help the situation in Haiti. Only what you can spare. Thank you.

11 Response to In the strangest of moods

14 January 2010 at 02:01

You are so articulate and clever even when describing things such as your fav. TV show!

14 January 2010 at 03:07

I don't generally blush, but I'm darned if you're not trying your hardest to get me there, Alex!

14 January 2010 at 03:49

My goodness- your posts are FINE with editing! I should know.. I'm usually a stickler for those kinds of things, and you're doing beautifully! :D

I'm totally missing Glee, too!

14 January 2010 at 04:02

I've been debating about Avatar for sometime. I think it'd be neat to see an All 3D movie, but I'm all about the story.

14 January 2010 at 13:05

I'm missing Dr. Who too - but come April we'll get to see the new guy (I'm really excited actually to see Stevan Moffat's storylines, they've all been so good so far) AND I'm excited about S3 of Ashes to Ashes as well :)

14 January 2010 at 15:12

Very happy that you are raising awareness of Haiti. You are an influential blogger and I think it makes a difference. It is such a tragedy.

Best,

Hannah Katy

14 January 2010 at 17:35

Allison - Oh, I'm so annoying about spelling and punctuation, of COURSE I checked those :P But I didn't self edit content was what I was getting at. But nice to meet another pedant!

Choco - Yeah, I am mostly too, but when films look THAT good...

EJ - I dunno, hon, Matt Smith looks and sounds too dopey to me! DT was so sharp and quick it'll be so poor in comparison!

HK - Haha I'm not sure about influential but I figured, use the readers for a good cause! Wrote another post because I caught the news and figured a paragraph aside wasn't quite enough. Also linked to your marvellous post if you don't mind?

14 January 2010 at 22:17

I was also a bit underwhelmed by the return of Hustle. I could see it coming, and I like that show most when I can't work out what's going on.

New Chuck? How did I miss this?

14 January 2010 at 22:46

You said exactly what I was thinking about Avatar, except way better than I could have said it.

15 January 2010 at 15:37

Wow, fascinating. I heard that Avatar was a very "anti-american" or at least very anti-military.

17 January 2010 at 00:51

Emma - I know, when you can pretty much map out the course of the entire episode (like with House. HOW many times can it not be Lupus?) it's not great, is it?

Andrea - I'm not sure about that hon, you're pretty eloquent yourself!

Lorien - I don't think it's anti-military per se (heck the Na'vi/very tall smurfs are a very warrior based tribe) but more against large military forces coming in and bulldozing indigenous tribes. Think the Disney Pocahontas/Dances with Wolves. I suppose those looking for an angle could suggest this is anti-American but that would be saying that the American military policy is slash and burn, which I don't totally agree with.