Sunday, February 14, 2010

Dear iPod

12
Dear iPod,


 For some five years now you have been my faithful companion. Though many a coloured, more intricate and more capable replacement has made a play for my attention and your spot in my inside left pocket, I have not succumbed. Rain or shine, smoothly or skipping, charged or not, you are my iPod.

You were by my side in different countries, during a thousand different sunsets and sunrises and amplifying the greatest moments and my widest smiles. But you were also a comforter in my most painful pangs of solitude, spells of heartache and tumultuous of times.

You are the creator of memories, the transcender of time and location, the background to parties. You have been a conversation starter, an ice breaker, a teaching aid. Breaker of writer's block, never-ending source of inspiration, morale boosters during long runs and losing hockey games.

Oh, holder of playlists, master of songs, vessel of emotions - you provided me with music all these years, so now I write this ode to you, my electronic friend. I pay no need to the fact that you are scratched here, there and everywhere. I don't care that your 18gigs have long since been woefully inadequate. And yes, you seem to have a wonderful knack of witnessing the destruction of more set of earphones that I can even recall. But this is my meagre understated 'thank you' for sticking by my side.

You're in my Top-Rated. (Sorry I couldn't resist!)


Yours in years of gratitude,
Stephen




------------

Things that have caught my eye of late:
- Brilliant post on book nerds by Lauren Leto
- Stephen Fry being a genius mac-daddy on QI here
- A decent guitar tab to "Here Comes The Sun"
- A short and simplistic game with a brilliant and overly saccharine concept?

12 Response to Dear iPod

14 February 2010 at 06:08

Love the post. Thanks for saying what all iPod users need to say to the holder of all things musical in our lives and haven't yet put into words.

14 February 2010 at 06:31

So, can you believe I have never owned an iPod? Seriously!
I love music, but I don't commute, I hate listening to it when I'm working, I almost always have a companion when I'm traveling, so there you go.
BUT... I've started going to the gym recently, and I thought an iPod would make it all so much easier to endure.
And what do you know, with the points on my Master Card I ordered an iPod Touch. The Universe wants me to keep working out.
I can hardly wait to be swooshing away on the ellipticals and watch The Office...

14 February 2010 at 10:11

lol.... AMEN! :)

14 February 2010 at 14:33

i kind of love this.

i drive a lot. i think i like my ipod more than my cell phone.

it is definitely in my top rated!

14 February 2010 at 20:23

Haha. Love it! And you're so right: even when the darn thing doesn't work as it should (which would normally warrant a hissy fit and some sort of overly-dramatic destruction), I just giggle, tuck it away in it's drawer, and know that it will probably be fine if I just give it a minute. After all, sometimes we all need a minute. ;)

14 February 2010 at 21:16

Alex - Well it's been so reliable and a more of a constant in my life than most things, so I figured to required some thank you!

Alexandra - That is weird! Not any form of mp3 player? You'll see, once you start using the iPod, you'll get addicted :D I mean, it's even just fun to sit on a balcony with a sunset and a well-constructed playlist.

AT - Too right!

Amanda - If I were less impoverished, I would definitely get an iPhone if only to combine the two and cut down on pocket space, haha!

Natalie - Haha, you realise the wealth of innuendo you packed in there? Love it :P

14 February 2010 at 21:29

Oh, this is perfect. I just switched from a very crappy iPod shuffle (that only held 137 songs!) to a beautiful iPod Touch. It's just fantastic - and I can put PLAYLISTS on it! I feel like I'm hip now.

And this ode is perfect. I love my iPod so much. It's better than my cell phone!

14 February 2010 at 21:35

Oh I would LOVE a new iPod, but I figure since my iPod's treated me so well for so long, I don't want to upgrade until it's completely kaput :D

16 February 2010 at 21:10

LOVED this

17 February 2010 at 13:44

Love it!! :)

I've never owned an actual iPod - I got a shuffle for free once, for switching banks, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out iTunes so I switched back to easy, generic, $20 drag-and-drop mp3 players :)

18 February 2010 at 00:51

@Madelyn - Ta :) Just wanted to write about my iPod and all it's done for me.

@EJ - Oh but once you figure out iTunes you'll never want to go back :D But I can totally imagine you with an old school mp3 player and massive headphones, haha!

25 February 2010 at 15:52

My hubby has one of the older i-Pods and he totally adores it =-) They're amazing.