Thursday, February 04, 2010

Oscar Nominations and other such trifles

8
So the Oscar nominations are up HERE and how did I find out? From Twitter of all places. Disappointed in the news for not breaking this news to me sooner.
No great surprises really, all the characteristic tell-tale signs are there, for that, read:

- The box office smash nominated in every possibly relevant category (Avatar)
- The worthy, more critically lauded film that will end up undeservedly and bitterly disappointed (The Hurt Locker)
- The underdog that might surprise everyone and steal the show with its unassuming grace (Up in the Air! Go Best Film, Reitman, Clooney, Kendrick/Farmiga! Run with it!)
- The film that will be rewarded because of its renown (Avatar)
- The breakout acting nom's that will get everyone to stand up and cheer (Sidibe/Precious, Meryl Streep*/Julie&Julia, Mulligan/AnEducation, Waltz/InglouriousBasterds, Bridges/CrazyHeart**, Freeman/Invictus)
- The recognised film that I don't agree with (controversially, I didn't love Inglorious Basterds as much as everyone else!)
- The animated film that will only win 'Best Animated Film' and a technical award despite being (deservedly?) nom'd in a bunch of bona fide categories (Up - firmly taking up Wall-E's mantle)
- Films cruelly omitted by Oscar (Moon?! 500 Days of Summer?!)***
- Films reminding me that I haven't seen nearly enough good films this past year (Precious, A Serious Man, An Education, ANY of the foreign film nom's)
- The clear front runner as it currently stands (Avatar)

NBs
1) I did actually enjoy Avatar, but not as much as Oscar would have me believe. (See Slumdog Millionaire last year)
2) I may again be showing some "Up in the Air" bias but you will not get me to retract it!
3) I am pleased that there is a lot of variety in the nominations this year though to give the AMPAS credit where it is due.
4) *Because it feels weird not giving Meryl Streep her full name. If nothing else she's earned THAT!
5) **Oscar LOVES giving a long overdue award. See Scorsese, 2007.
6) *** For more emotional responses (can you believe it?) check HERE

p.s. I've FINALLY started my Shakesp-year project! (Ahem proper title still in the pipeline.) Tumblr account HERE and will be started up soon. First step: The Tempest.
p.p.s. Because I've been terribly remiss and not blogged for ages there have been a few occurrences that I've not written about! In brief: Nation, the Pratchett-adapted play; South Bank second hand book stalls for the first visit in ages; being booked in for three interviews (count it!); working on another A-Z; figuring out Google Wave and actually making use of it!
p.p.p.s. Oh Nation counts as one of my twelve plays, right? I also plan to see another one in the next two weeks. Yes it's all grossly delayed but it feels to weird not completely abandoning my New Year's Resolutions.
p.p.p.p.s. Last FM is rocking my socks this week.
p.p.p.p.p.s. So is BBC Radio on the iPlayer
p.p.p.p.p.p.s So is the 'pirate' language function on Facebook.
p.p.p.p.p.p.p.s. Too. Many. Bullet points. I may actually have ADD.


Okay, enough about me. What did you make of the Oscar nominations?

8 Response to Oscar Nominations and other such trifles

Sam
4 February 2010 at 06:31

I actually didn't like Up in the Air as much as everyone else seems to love it. I'm sad 500 Days of Summer isn't nominated :( I LOVED Avatar.. I've seen it 3 times :D I hope An Education wins because it was amazing. I can't believe I still haven't seen Precious or A Serious Man. And I also didn't love Inglorious Basterds as much as everyone else!

4 February 2010 at 18:03

We're seeing Avatar (FINALLY!) this weekend. I'm really hoping District 9 scoops something this year!!

4 February 2010 at 18:28

Did you dislike Slumdog Millionaire, too? BECAUSE I SURE DID. I pretty much agree with everything you're saying here.

Also - you're telling me I need to watch Moon? I'm telling you that An Education kind of weirded me out.

4 February 2010 at 18:37

Sam - You didn't like Up in the Air! You suck! (Kidding :P) I mean, I GET how people love Avatar. It's an experience. But I'd rather see a film with lower production values but a better storyline and more powerful performances. I would rather see Casablanca twice back to back in the same time it would take to watch Avatar again for example. Just me though. I'm sure AMPAS will smother Avatar with awards!

EJ - You'd BETTER see it in 3D! I'm betting come Monday I'll see pictures of you and fiance with glasses on! ;)

Andrea - I didn't DISLIKE it, just the hype totally killed it for me. I missed it initially because of exams, then when I actually went to watch it I was in the "Wow this will change my life because it won 8 Oscars" and left feeling let down. I watched it again last week and it fared better. But not quite 8 Oscars better.

And Moon is great. Think Castaway with more technology. And a twist. And the moon (obviously). I'm down with weirdness. And Carey Mulligan. And Nick Hornby. So I will watch it eventually!

5 February 2010 at 01:16

I agree that 500 Days of Summer should have been in there somewhere!

And is your love for Up in the Air endless? I really must see this film!

Great critique as always! Can't wait to hear more (although I've heard a little) about the post scripts you've scripted at the bottom of your post, next post perhaps?

5 February 2010 at 02:43
This comment has been removed by the author.
5 February 2010 at 02:45

Yes 500 days of Summer is such an underrated film. It's take on cinematography is so refreshing plus the references to French New wave cinema are undeniable. And who doesn't love JGL and Zoey Deschanel?!!

I also need to watch the Hurt Locker. I've heard so many amazing things about this movie. I too loved Up in the Air. Like 500 Days of Summer, they both have these "not so happy, ambiguous" endings, which I appreciate, because hey that's life. Okay, I'm done.

6 February 2010 at 04:45

I haven't looked at the list yet. But I'll make sure I check it out. I feel I've missed out on a lot of great movies this past year. Thanks for reminding to check on the nominations!