Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cool stuff wot I bought

8
Because I bought this stuff and reckon they're all pretty nifty in their own way, because I'm suffering from a severe case of writer's block, because I wanted to try out the camera on my phone and because I wanted to show that not everyone agrees with the Oxford comma.

Books! Oh so pretty books! Because I'm tragically behind on Chekhov reading (I've only read Uncle Vanya! For shame...) I found this Collected Plays in one of those quaint little second bookshops that somehow still subsist off Shaftesbury Avenue. When they're in good condition I quite enjoy the idea of second hand books: knowing that someone's read and loved that book before gives me a sense of continuity. This is the same reason I like giving people great books as presents. Besides, based on the publishing notes and the handwritten note in the front (I also love that too!) this book is older than my parents. Weird.

And yeah, I had no idea before I wandered into HMV like a lost puppy that Tim Burton had published a book! Not a book per se so much as a dark twisted collection of short children's stories and pictures. Think twisted.... hit Quentin Blake? Think darker.... hit Roald Dahl? Darker still... Love it.

 Y Tu Mama Tambien, which I named checked a while back as a cheery film, is still worth a namecheck. It's one of those films that documents an experience

And the other one? Because if you have an ounce of fun/childishness/hair gel left in you, you love 80s movies. I bought this mainly for Ferris - RIP John Hughes.


Have I bigged up Kina Grannis yet? If not, check her out if you like Colbie Caillat et al, wonderful acoustic singer from California. You can almost hear the sunshine in her voice.

The other one is a collection of Schubert pieces transcribed for piano by composers including Liszt! For someone who had these names forced upon them during classical music training, this is music geek heaven!


And also this. Needs no intro, the blaggers' guide to Art!



I think I do retail therapy pretty well, hmmm? Apparently better than I write at 4 in the morning. Hope you're all doing well, you beautiful people!

8 Response to Cool stuff wot I bought

18 March 2010 at 04:56

I love that you mentioned two of my absolute favorite things in this post: 1. Antique books-which you love for the same reasons that I love them. It's like owning a piece of someone's personal history when there's an inscription or an old note tucked in there. 2. Schubert-enough said, you know well my obsession with Death and the Maiden which I have listened to way too many times. Can't wait to check out the Tim Burton thing and you have suggested so many great little things for me to nerdily find out more about via the web.

18 March 2010 at 10:47

I'm trying to keep from popping into bookstores because I just keep on adding to my book pile. High five for Russian lit, though! I'm reading Notes from the Underground by Dostoevsky right now, but Chekhov is always a fav of mine.

18 March 2010 at 14:48

I have that art book! And I NEED that Tim Burton book!!

18 March 2010 at 15:27

I have some great memories with that art book. I might need to buy it...

18 March 2010 at 19:57

I love old editions myself. Did a post on it in fact because I found a personally inscribed one at the old book shop.

Lovin' the Art Book

22 March 2010 at 07:49

I absolutely love second-hand books for the same reason. Everyone tells me they're dirty and worn, but they're just well-loved and cherished. It's amazing to think of passing down an entire life within a book! I have a very bad habit of going into every second-hand shop I find (which is unfortunately not many here in San Diego) and scanning for classics with inscriptions in front. Have you ever seen the movie Definitely, Maybe? Isla Fischer's character buys every Charlotte Bronte "Jane Eyre" book with an inscription in the front. I have a distinct feeling I will be that in a few years (except Jane Austen novels).

I very much approve your retail therapy :)

29 March 2010 at 17:05

I came back from spring break expecting to have lots of your posts to read and to my dismay there were none :( Post away! Miss our chats my e-friend, hope all is well!

30 March 2010 at 23:49

Kina is fantastic! And so is Schubert!
I love Y tu mama tambien! Great film. Are you into other classical composers?