Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Like riding a bike..

7


It happens so easily.

You fall in line with the crowd, mindlessly treading water as you merely try to survive the rush hour.
The current irresistibly compels you along and you, ears plugged into your iPod, succumb to its direction.
Walk on the left side of this barrier.
The office walls close in, your very world wanes claustrophobically and it seems a curtain falls on your horizon.
Clock in. Clock out. Bill your hours.
How many spreadsheets can a man tabulate, before you can call him a drone?

Does this have to be the way? Why can one not regain their creativity? Relishing the beauty of their everyday life in the unexpected nooks of the city, reading books instead of rehashed free daily newspapers, attending concerts and not training seminars. How hard can it be to be the salmon, ever struggling upstream?

How did that phrase about bikes go again?

7 Response to Like riding a bike..

5 May 2010 at 01:17

Pretty song, I turned off Laura Marling to listen to it and it's very similar :)

Thank you for posting... I miss you!! Lovely writing as always. It's hard not to go with the current but it depends on the strength of one's desire to see what's in the other direction. Even at the risk of sharks :)

Book a day off. For August. And we can go read books and be tourists and see wonderful live theatre :)

Kat
5 May 2010 at 10:38

I was thinking about something similar yesterday.... how it's by no means inevitable that someone working a "boring" (if you will) job has to become boring themselves, but so many people DO. They seem to have nothing to talk about besides work (just complaining about their hours usually) or grocery shopping or the next trip they're taking just to get away from their everyday life, and so on.
We shouldn't want to get away from our everyday lives!
Because that's life! You know, that thing we're meant to be enjoying? Not just enjoying in 4 day vacations spread out over months?

I don't think you have to worry about becoming boring Stephen. Stay interesting :)

5 May 2010 at 14:56

I wish it was easier to have that amazing life - to be mentally challenged and to find meaning in ALL hours of the day.

I wish with EVERY fiber of my being.

6 May 2010 at 10:06

It's so good to have your writing back :) Even if it expresses a worry right now. But don't fret, my dear...I'm not sure creativity can ever be lost. Sometimes it has to be set aside, and many times it feels gone, but it's always there, dormant, and waiting. You'll find ways to utilise it soon :)

PS, lovely song!

10 May 2010 at 14:41

You came back!! And I have missed you so! This post is great, so true too... Sad how life can try so hard to make us so busy that we forget our creativity.

Best,

Hannah Katy

14 May 2010 at 15:54

@EJ - Haha, sharks are cool. Until they eat you :) Yeah, August should be cool! Any ideas of things you want to do?

@Kat - I don't know, I know a bunch of people who have still managed to remain fairly 'interesting' but that comes from having fairly interesting jobs, learning how to stop talking shop, and not letting the tiredness/ennui/laziness kick in I suppose. Thanks for the vote of the confidence, hon, but I strongly suspect I'm going that way :S

@Ashley - sometimes that's enough, right? Standing up and saying 'no I will have a life outside of my 9-5'? Finding something little to hang onto during the working hours so you don't think it's just a way to pay your bills? Granted I'm not there either, but we can still keeping trying!

@AR - I think anytime I'm given time to worry I do. Well not so much worry as blow every emotion out of proportion and analyse the crap out of it. Which makes me a great devil's advocate but also means I hit troughs and peaks really easily. And yeah, I think it's a great song! Look up Kina Grannis, you'll thank me later.

@HK - I hope to come back properly soon! There are also so many blogs (obviously yours included) that I love so much, and yet have been neglecting.

19 May 2010 at 16:49

Even Albert Einstein worked a boring job at a patent office at awhile. Sometimes busy work can be a hot bed for a sprig of creativity. Let your mind wander while spreadsheet-ing away and I'm sure the bolt of inspiration will strike :) Glad to see you're blogging again, perhaps you are already on the road to creative inspiration.