Friday, July 23, 2010

Break my rusty cage and run

7

Trapped. 
By the pressures of work, 
By the demands of society,
By the cruel necessity of money,
By relationships going nowhere fast. 
Each one another bar in a moment that
Seems determined to bind and constrict,
Not embrace and bless us, nor enfold us 
In serendipity and boundary-less fortune.
"Like a cat in a bag / waiting to drown"
No, not so morose, yet not so detached. 
A bird maybe, gazing from imprisonment.
Chirping wistfully at the expanse of world
Commencing from not even two feet away.
Cruelly somehow allowing vision of all yet
Access to little. Cursed cage of restriction!


Yet might this cage not be a rusty one? Why not test those hinges... bend those bars....?


7 Response to Break my rusty cage and run

23 July 2010 at 02:29

Excellent! Love it...

Kat
23 July 2010 at 10:40

Uh-oh, you're writing poetry? I'm worried. Don't go all Sylvia Plath on us!

23 July 2010 at 13:58

This was rather excellent. I get frustration yet determination from this, and I'll do whatever I can to try and find the key for your little cage :)

3 August 2010 at 21:54

Kat, why can't I be Ted Hughes and not Sylvia Plath?!

8 August 2010 at 11:47

Spot on. You know what? I've quit my job as a copywriter in the centre of London and I'm moving to Cardiff to write my second novel. You only live once! It might seem impossible, but it's better to take the risks now that you're young and others don't depend on you (so much) yet. Break that rusty cage!

(love the way how Johnny Cash does these rock covers by the way)

9 August 2010 at 15:01

Once you break free - let me know how!

5 September 2010 at 12:14

'by relationships going nowhere fast'

'no, not so morose, yet not so detached'

this was such a wonderful read Stephen :)