Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"That which we call a rose / By any other name would smell as sweet"

2
It has long been a feature of mythology and science fiction that many a creature can be weakened by the knowledge or speaking aloud of its name. The idea that the name holds a mystic power, almost like a spell.

"You have me at a disadvantage"
"He doesn't even know my name"
"Creature, I name you... Carrionite!" (Ahem, that's just for you, EJ!)

A name can help us find someone, can spark conversation, can condemn someone. Can be spat out in spite or murmured in a verbal caressing wonder. Can define someone, describe something in wonderful rounded tones or harsh consonant sounds, represent hope and optimistic plans. But surely the by far the most beautiful uses of names is for people...


What is in a name?

Maybe we don't think of it as control. Maybe we think of as a new connections created. What is life if not the people in it?


2 Response to "That which we call a rose / By any other name would smell as sweet"

Sam
20 July 2010 at 03:12

My name has attracted certain people to me.. they may have been attracted before, but the name really made them like me. Sounds odd to me, but apparently a lot of great characters in books and movies have been named Sam that just make some people fall in love with the name, and those who possess it. It's alright by me :)

20 July 2010 at 14:03

TOO FUNNY, I was reading that at a table in Starbucks next to a Frenchman and I laughed out LOUD. Thank you, you're brilliant :)

PS! Two weeks?